Bed bug monitors are effective, unique and proactive methods of monitoring and detecting bed bug activity. In this guide, we will study everything there is you need to know about bed bug monitors and bed bug detector tools that can help you eradicate bed bugs.
How do you get bed bugs
After decades or relative obscurity, bed bugs are back with a bang. Large metros are especially facing a huge bed bug issue and these include cities like New York, San Francisco etc. In the US, the North East and Midwest regions are considered bed bug hotspots and reasons for this increase in populations include increase in insecticide resistance and global traffic for trade and commerce followed by a decrease in the use of household pesticides. The fact that bed bugs also have a very complex lifestyle makes management even more difficult. In majority of household infestations, professional pest control with an integrated pest management becomes a necessity. Often, over-the-counter pesticides are ineffective and many people tend to treat their households even when they do not have bed bugs.
How bed bug detector and passive bed bug monitors help
Bed bug detector and monitors, as stated above, are part of the proactive detection process. They are ideally placed at strategic points in the bedroom or other areas having bed bugs.Most bed bug monitors use food based lures and also mimic human blood to attract bed bugs in all its life cycle stages. This helps show their early signs as well as the extent of the infestation.
Benefits of using bed bug monitors
- Bed bug monitors are especially useful in hotels, guest houses, assisted living facilities, schools, theaters etc as they quickly show signs of infestation. Management can then take steps to prevent bed bugs from growing in numbers.
- As a part of successful and integrated bed bug management, bed bug detector and monitor systems help save time, money and hassles by reducing the spread of insects.
- Having bed bugs in your commercial or residential facility not only puts you and other occupants at a risk of getting bitten; you also could suffer from psychological symptoms thanks to the infestation. Also, your reputation could be at stake especially in case of a hotel or motel. By using bed bug monitors you can prevent all these negative implications.
Types of bed bug detectors
Bed bug detector and monitor systems are of following types:
- Passive– BB Alert Passive and BDS or Bed Bug Detection System
- Active– – BB catch and NightWatch
- Interceptors–ClimbUp Insect Inceptor
These bed bug monitors vary based on size, price and method of operation.Active bed bug monitor systems use attractants like carbon dioxide, heat or host odors called Kairomones. They generally lure the bed bugs from their hiding places and then trap them into pitfalls or sticky traps. These monitors are especially useful in case of areas where there are no hosts and they help bring out bed bugs from hiding places like cracks and crevices.Passive bed bug monitors depend on chance encounters with bed bugs and are best placed in dark areas where bed bugs like to reside when they are not feeding. The inceptor devices are a cross between active and passive bed bug monitors.
In all 3 types, it is important to position the monitors in strategic areas like under the beds, in the box springs or in cracks in furniture. The traps and monitors must also be checked from time to time. In hotels, housekeeping staff must be educated and, if needed,provided with adequate training so that they can watch out for signs of bed bug activity and also proper steps in case of an infestation.
Ways to eradicate bed bugs
You might be tempted to jump straight into treating the premises once your bed bug monitors have detected bed bugs. But that is not the right way of eradicating these pests. You have to plan things right and carefully follow a bed bug management strategy.
- Choose a bed bug eradication method that is safe and you are familiar with.
- Make sure you take into account the extent of infestation and also factors like if your neighbors have bed bugs. You might also need to account for other site related problems like clutter etc.
- You must start by correctly identifying the pests; many people tend to mistaken they have bed bugs.
- It is essential that landlords and neighbors also participate in the eradication process in case of rental units.
- You must develop a strategy and mark the steps on a calendar. This is an essential part of bed bug detection, monitoring and eradication. Keep all records of the processes used and the dates and locations where bed bugs were found.
- You must plan for long term monitoring and ensure all bed bugs are gone.
- To keep the bugs from spreading, vacuum the rooms and discard all vacuum bags immediately.
- In case of infested furniture that cannot be salvaged, make sure you mark them as ‘infested’ before trashing them. This is important to prevent bugs from spreading across the cities.
- Consider non-chemical methods of eradicating bed bugs like heat treatment, cold treatment etc.
- If required, use pesticides but only go for EPA approved ones.
Continue to inspect the premises using bed bug monitors every 7 days. You can also use inceptors attached to the legs of the bed or other traps and monitors. If needed, seek advice from a reputed pest control agency.
Got bed bugs? Here are 10 products that can help you get rid of and prevent them.