There are many early warning signs that you might have bed bugs. You do not need any special bed bug detection kit, though there are many available and we will be discussing them in this guide. Apart from these products; you might also notice some other tell-tale signs of bed bug infestations. Watch out for these so you can quickly take the steps to get rid of the bugs once and for all.
Early bed bug bites
The first thing you will notice when you have bed bugs is bed bug bites. The bite marks may be present on the lower part of the legs, arms, back, torso and even on the neck. Some people have also woken up with welts on their faces. Bed bug bites can be particularly itchy to someone with sensitive skin or one who is allergic to the protein contained in the bed bugs’ saliva. This protein enables the bugs to feed easily on host blood without encountering clots. In allergic people, the body reacts by sending histamine that causes an allergic reaction in the form of following symptoms:
- Welts, papules or blisters
Once you see these early bed bug bites signs, closely examine your bed and surrounding areas for bed bug activity.
Bed Bug 101- Early detection
The important thing to do is to act fast in order to prevent bed bugs from multiplying. Here are some signs you might have bed bugs:
- Shed exoskeleton– You might notice bed bug skin shed on your bed linen. This might be whitish or reddish in color.
- Live bugs– You might even catch live adult bugs in action. Adult bugs are rusty, red and measure about 3/8th of an inch or the size of apple seeds.
- Eggs– Bed bug eggs are small and white in color.
- Odor– An offensive sweet-sour odor may be present in the infested regions.
- Early bed bug bites- People in your household might experience itchy rashes. This is not a surefire sign of bed bugs as many factors can lead to rashes and itchy welts on the skin.
How to detect Bed bugs and bed bug bites?
A thorough inspection is the best way to find out whether you have a bed bug infestation. Here are the areas to examine thoroughly:
- Inspect the mattresses, bed frames, area under the headboards, box springs, along the seams and piping of mattress etc.
- Check the fabric folds and seams of curtains and under furniture. Also check the upholstered furniture.
- Examine areas under torn or loose wallpaper
- Inspect all cracks and crevices, electrical outlets, behind mirrors and picture frames.
- Check inside switch plates, clocks, computers, TV and phones.
- If you have luggage/backpacks/bags that you have recently taken on a trip, it is important that you examine it outside-in the garden or garage.
Bed bug detection kits
Many bed bug detection products in the form of detection kits are available in the market. These help detect bed bug activity at home, in motels or dorms as well as in offices and commercial spaces. You can even carry these compact kits on your camping trips should you be staying in B&B s or infested campsites.
Bed bug detection kits are very easy to use. They help you detect the presence of bed bugs in any establishment instantly. All you need to do is fill the spray bottle with water, turn off the lights and spray the solution in typically infested areas such as the bed, furniture, cracks etc. The spray causes the bed bug litter and debris to glow fluorescent blue. This indicates presence of bed bugs instantly.
What do bed bug detection kits contain? Are they reusable?
Bed bug detection kits from reputed companies are generally safe and non toxic. They contain mild oxidizing compounds and proprietary formulations with luminol. The spray does not leave any residue as long as you wipe down the treated areas with some damp cloth immediately after detection.
Most bed bug detection kits can be used one time only. You must treat all the areas as instructed such as the box springs, under the mattresses, in cracks and crevices etc. This way; you know for sure whether you have bed bugs and can begin the early bed bug infestation treatment.
- Easy to use
- Value for money
- Help you catch the infestation early on before it escalates or spirals out of control
- Guarantees peace of mind
- One time use only
- Does not detect eggs
- Some people could not tell if it works or not.
What are bed bug detection lights?
Bed bug detection lights are flashlights with UV light. They help detect pet/human urine, bed bugs, rodents, and even counterfeit currency! These things make it a worthwhile investment indeed especially if you tend to travel a lot.
- Most bed bug detection lights comes with 395 nm wavelength
- They cover a large area
- Not only bed bugs; you can use these lights for many other applications. Many people have caught scorpions with it.
- For some users, the products did not detect bed bugs but just pet urine.
- Batteries of the lights do not last long and most products need replacement after just a couple of uses.
There are many signs you have bed bugs and the bites on your body are just one of them. You can always invest in the bed bug detection kits or bed bug detection lights described above. If in doubt, consult a pest control service for detailed examination of your premises.