Each of us needs a good night’s rest to function properly the next morning. Naturally, the last thing one wants is to wake up with bed bug bites. In this guide, we shall discuss a few ways to prevent bed bug bites at home or when traveling or sleeping in infested hotels. We will also discuss a few natural ways to prevent bed bug bites and stop further scarring.
How to prevent bed bug bites at home
The best way to prevent bed bug bites at home is to eliminate these pests completely. To do so, one can use a number of methods and techniques. There are many efficient ways of killing bed bugs ranging from DIY (do-it-yourself) treatments to professional ones.
- The natural DIY techniques include application of diatomaceous earth powders, CO2 traps, borax, and steam or heat treatments. These can get rid of the larvae, eggs and adult bed bugs slowly yet effectively.
- One can also make a natural bed bug trap using sticky tapes to catch and eliminate the bugs.
- It is important to vacuum the entire home and wash all bedding material and clothing in hot water laundry to kill all the larvae, eggs and adult bed bugs. This is an important step to prevent bed bug bites.
- When using chemical treatments like sprays and powders, care must be taken not to spray them on electrical outlets or other electronic goods etc.
- It is necessary to avoid picking up furniture from the curbside or garage sales etc as this is one of the most common ways of bringing in these unwanted pests into the homes.
How to prevent bed bug bites when traveling or staying in hotels
The last thing you want is an uncomfortable night due to bed bug bites when staying in a hotel. Experts recommend several tips to prevent bed bug bites when spending a night or two away from home.
- As soon as you check into the hotel, stash the luggage in the bathroom (as this is the only place where bed bugs will not hide in).
- Next, you must check the bedding by pulling back the linen and inspecting all areas behind the headboard.
- Look out for red/brown stains which are the fecal matter or discarded exoskeletons of the bed bugs.
- It is also important to check furniture, art frames and cushion seams in the hotels order to prevent bed bug bites when staying away from home.
Naturally, if you do see these tell-tale signs, you must call the hotel management and ask for another room or, better yet, move to another hotel.
How to prevent bed bug bites naturally and prevent further scarring
- There are many natural, essential oils that can help relieve itching and pain associated with bed bug bites.
- To prevent bed bug bites in the first place, you can even use certain organic soaps and lotions that help repel these pests. Bathing with chamomile soap or applying calendula lotion to the body can help prevent bed bug bites. These products are also gentle enough for use on baby’s skin.
- Witch hazel lotion and organic apple cider vinegar can also help prevent itching and pain on the affected region.
- Lavender, rosemary, and eucalyptus oils can also be added to rubbing alcohol for spraying on headboards, mattresses and the legs of the bed to prevent bed bug bites.
- If the bed bug bite marks are already present, ensure washing the skin with hot water to dry them out. Apply aloe vera gel or an anesthetic lotion immediately to prevent scarring.
- Rubbing an ice cube on the skin can also numb the area to prevent pain and scarring.
- If needed, take an antihistamine like Benadryl to prevent itching caused by the bed bug bites.
Bed bug infestation can be a pesky problem that can ruin a good night’s rest. The best way to prevent bed bug bites is to ensure taking care of the infestation by using one of the bed bug elimination methods described on this blog.
Got bed bugs? Here are 10 products that can help you get rid of and prevent them.