With warmer weather come bugs, prominent among which are bed bugs. Many a family vacation has been spoilt by sleeping in bed bug infested hotels. Bed bug bites are extremely itchy and can ruin a good night’s sleep. Children and babies tend to get irritable and cranky due to such bites and scratching them can also lead to secondary skin infections.
Therefore, we are compiling a list of quick healing remedies that can help relieve itchiness caused by bed bug bites. These are proven to quickly stop bed bug bites from itching for fast relief from pain and inflammation.
Proven home remedies to stop bed bug bites from itching
- Ice- Apply ice immediately to the bitten area to stop bed bug bites from itching. In absence of ice, apply cold water or frozen vegetable packets to the skin for a few minutes until the itchiness is reduced.
- Heat- Heat is another proven home remedy. Many a victim of bed bug bites has obtained relief by applying heat from a hair dryer to the bite site. Alternatively, take a hot shower and pat dry the bitten area with a soft cloth for immediate relief from pain and inflammation.
- Toothpaste- Toothpaste is readily available at home and is a handy remedy to stop bed bug bites from itching quickly and effectively. Simply apply a generous portion on the bite; the menthol and baking soda in the toothpaste helps relieve itching and burning.
- Baking soda- Make a paste of baking soda with some water. Apply it to the skin to immediately stop bed bug bites from itching.
- Oatmeal- Colloidal oatmeal has plethora of skin benefits primary amongst which is relieving irritation resulting from insect bites. Make a paste of oats and water and apply it on the arms, legs, feet, and anywhere else where bed bugs have left their bite marks on the skin.
- If you are outdoors camping and have none of the above remedies to stop bed bug bites from itching quickly, simply collect some mud and make it into a paste with water. Apply this paste to stop bed bug bites from itching.
- Aloe Vera plant- If you have an aloe vera plant handy nearby, simply cut open the leaf, extract its gel and apply it all over the skin to stop the itch.
Over the counter remedies to stop bed bug bites from itching
When bed bugs bite, their saliva mixes with our blood which then releases histamine to counter the allergic substance in the saliva’s protein. This histamine is what causes the itching in the first place. Hence an antihistamine must be taken to counter itchiness.
- Oral Anti Histamine- Benadryl or any other antihistamine tablet taken orally can give immediate relief from itching.
- Anti-itch creams- Hydrocortisone creams, Benadryl spray/ cream or calamine lotion as well as Cortizone 10 etc can be applied to stop bed bug bites from itching.
- Take rubbing alcohol on a cotton ball and apply it liberally all over the bites for quick relief from itching.
We hope these home and store bought remedies will help you quickly stop bed bug bites from itching for fast relief from pain and inflammation.